Sunday 5 February 2012

Hard Times

This week I worked on my voice every day. Maybe its just me but I seemed to get stronger and stronger and then on the 4th lesson I just fell apart and couldn't even finish the exercises (trills on a double octave) and I gave up. This is where the merits of a live vocal coach come into their own.

Friday I did the full set of exercises in the lesson but had started to doubt myself. Who the hell do I think I am? What makes me think I am good enough to go into this competition? Why don't I act my age and go back to my day job?

Two days later, it's Sunday and there is 4 foot of snow outside. I decided to record a tune which has been one of my faves for years. I decided to have a go at singing a real character voice and so went for Mark from Rent. he normally has a very nasally NY tone which i thought I should try. So here it is. Its not perfect but it cheered me up and I got a little tingle when I did the harmony parts of Roger ( a cleaner rock tone).





So I enjoyed myself immensely and am ready to hit the lessons again tomorrow and start developing my high head mix. Another week of lessons coming up with Brett Manning and Jesse Nemitz. Today I emailed Jesse and asked for his help. Watch this space (or not).

No comments:

Post a Comment